Friday, January 9, 2015

Ultimate RaspBMC Home Server Setup

Ok, so I recently discovered the overall capabilities of the RPi and I can say I absolutely love it. I already had a home server but I completely took it out of use with the Pi. RaspBMC is really great, but not if you just want to use one TV on XBMC/Kodi. I'd go for OpenELEC if you don't need a home server.

Here's what I have running:

I installed RaspBMC on the v1 of the Raspberry Pi B model. I don't have the + model yet, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference from what I read anyways. I have it set up with the original settings, I plugged it in and let it run. That's it for the Pi. It was simple to do, get a Pi, get RaspBMC, image write it to the SD, boot it. Done.

Next

Now for the server part, I use FTP, mainly because I have had issues with Samba/SMB in the past. I have Wiis, I have like 4. I threw Priiloader 0.8 Beta 3 on them, and had them boot straight to WiiMC with their FTP settings set to the RPi's FTP server settings.

And that's pretty much it. I just have to make sure the things I download aren't over 480p. I basically only grab files that are either XViD or x264-SD. It plays pretty much any audio if you like to do your own encodes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment